Melissa Korn is a higher education Wall Street Journal reporter who has co-authored a new book covering the Varsity Blues Scandal. That book, Unacceptable: Privilege, Deceit, & the Making of the College Admissions Scandal, is available July 21, 2020 and can be pre-ordered/purchased through Penguin Random House.
Smith and Korn walk through the entire scandal to not only tell the story that reads like a crime novel, but it’s important to share how the scheme actually unfolded so administrators can take preventative measures against future attempts at fraud and don’t become complacent since this story has quietly left the conversation once the pandemic upended higher education and athletics.
Topics covered in this episode include:
- Who was Rick Singer?
- Side door approach
- Stealing testing sites
- Special admissions for athletes
- Funneling money through The Key foundation
- Punishment and prison time
- Big-time donations to universities isn’t going away
- Future of the SAT and ACT being used in admissions after Varsity Blues and COVID-19
Follow Melissa’s coverage of Varsity Blues and everything else higher education on Twitter (@melissakorn).